Change of Name and/or Franchise

Dealers who would like to change their corporate name or any DBAs, or add/remove a franchise should be aware of the following information.  The State of Michigan requires that these steps be taken.

Change of Name

If changing your business name, the state requires a change of name form and letter of intent to change the name.  The owner will need to sign.

Franchise Change

If adding/dropping a franchise, prepare a letter explaining you have a change in franchises.  Note the effective date, include the license number and have the letter signed by the owner.

If you change your franchise but not your company name, it is not necessary to review the following Change of Name information.

Certificate of Insurance

If changing your business name, include your new name on the Certificate of Insurance.

Articles of Incorporation

If changing your business name, you must amend the articles with the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA).  There will be a fee for this amendment, made payable to the State of Michigan.

Original Installment Seller License

If changing your business name, the original license should be provided along with a letter explaining the change and signed by the owner.  Also note the license number.  Include a $10.00 check for the amendment fee, made payable to the State of Michigan.

Uniform Vehicle Dealer Surety Bond

Notify your insurance company if there is any change to your corporate name or address.  This situation will require a bond rider with the State of Michigan.

Items to provide to MADA or the various state departments

When you provide this information to MADA we will review it and personally deliver it to the appropriate state department. Simply mail your paperwork to: MADA Licensing Department / 1500 Kendale Blvd. / East Lansing, MI 48823

Department of State for franchise changes:

  1. Letter of intent to add or cancel a franchise
    (franchise approval is necessary to add)

Department of State for name/dba change:

  1. Change of Name form
  2. Letter of intent to change name
  3. Copy of the filed Articles of Incorporation or LLC
  4. Certificate of Liability Insurance
    (for corporate or LLC name change)
  5. Bond rider
DIFS for name/dba change:

  1. Original Installment Seller License
  2. Letter stating intent to change name/address
  3. $10.00 amendment fee

LARA for name/dba change:

  1. Amended articles of incorporation
  2. Proper amendment fees