Change of License Classification from Class A & B to Class B only

Dealers who may be required to close their new vehicle dealership and subsequently choose to continue selling used vehicles should be aware of the following information.  The State of Michigan requires that these steps be taken to properly cancel an “A” (new vehicle) dealer license, and retain a “B” (used vehicle) license.

Dealer License

Prepare a letter explaining you no longer have a franchise agreement with (manufacturer) and would like to drop your “A” license and retain your “B” license.  Note the effective date, include the license number and have the letter signed by the owner.

Change of Name and/or Address

If you have changes to this information, please see these additional steps.

  • Sample letter to change both name and address

Items to provide to MADA or the various state departments

When you provide this information to MADA we will review it and personally deliver it to the appropriate state department. Simply mail your paperwork to: MADA Licensing Department / 1500 Kendale Blvd. / East Lansing, MI 48823

Department of State:

  1. Letter of intent to cancel “A” dealer license

If a change of name and/or address is applicable, also provide the following.


  1. Original Installment Seller License
  2. Letter stating intent to change name/address
  3. $10.00 amendment fee
Department of State:

  1. Letter of intent to change name/address
  2. Copy of the filed Articles of Incorporation or LLC

  1. Amended articles of incorporation
  2. Proper amendment fees