Dealership Closing

Dealers who may be required to close their new vehicle dealership and subsequently surrender their “A” dealer license should be aware of the following information.  The State of Michigan requires that these steps be taken to properly close out the dealership.

All the following information must be signed and dated by the owner.

Michigan Vehicle Dealer or Repair Facility Closeout Statement

Depending on your situation, one or both of these forms must be completed and signed by the owner. You must also prepare a letter explaining you are closing your dealership and repair facility.  The original licenses must be surrendered.

Dealer Plates

All dealer plates must be surrendered.  If you have any lost dealer plates, please indicate this on the closeout statement.

Original Installment Seller License

When surrendering this license, also provide a letter explaining you have closed the dealership.  Note the effective date and have the letter signed by the owner.  If you cannot locate the original, please explain this in the letter.

Uniform Vehicle Dealer Surety Bond

Notify your insurance company to cancel your vehicle dealer surety bond with State of Michigan.  They will need the effective date of closure.

Notice of Change or Discontinuance

This form must be completed and signed by the owner to cancel your sales tax license.

  • Form (please mail directly to the Department of Treasury)


Items to provide to MADA or the various state departments

When you provide this information to MADA we will review it and personally deliver it to the appropriate state department. Simply mail your paperwork to: MADA Licensing Department / 1500 Kendale Blvd. / East Lansing, MI 48823

Department of State:

  1. Letter of intent to close dealership and repair facility
  2. Dealer Closeout Statement
  3. Original Vehicle Dealer License
  4. Dealer Plates
  5. Original Repair Facility License

  1. Letter stating dealership closure
  2. Original Installment Seller License

Michigan Department of Treasury:

  1. Notice of Change or Discontinuance