Change of License Classification from Class B to Class A & B

The State of Michigan requires that these steps be taken to properly add an “A” (new vehicle) dealer license, and retain a “B” (used vehicle) license.

Change of Class Application

Complete the circled items on the application.   An officer on the current license must sign.  Franchise approval will also be required.

 Dealer Zoning Approval

With change of classification, the state requires that the dealer obtain zoning and municipality approval.

Change of Name

If you change your corporation or LLC name or add a dba name, please see these additional steps.


Items to provide to MADA or the various state departments

When you provide this information to MADA we will review it and personally deliver it to the appropriate state department. Simply mail your paperwork to: MADA Licensing Department / 1500 Kendale Blvd. / East Lansing, MI 48823

Department of State:

  1. Change of Class Application
  2. Franchise approval
  3. Letter of intent to add “A” dealer license
  4. Zoning/municipality approval form

If a change of name is applicable, also provide the following.


  1. Original Installment Seller License
  2. Letter stating intent to change name/address
  3. $10.00 amendment fee


Department of State:

  1. Change of Name form
  2. Letter of intent to change name
  3. Copy of the filed Articles of Incorporation or LLC

  1. Amended articles of incorporation
  2. Proper amendment fees