One of the oldest, continuously operating dealerships in the United States.
George M. Schaefer opened his blacksmith and woodworking shop in 1852. In 1890, his son, George A. took over the business and a few years later, in 1905, they teamed up with their first partner, George Rummel. Barney Schaefer later joined the family business after attending auto school in Detroit where he was trained in mechanics, testing and demonstrating automobiles. He sold the company’s first car in 1914.
When Elmer Schaefer returned from WWII, he and his brother-in-law, Duane Bierlein purchased the Rummel half of the partnership, and Schaefer & Bierlein was born in 1954. Duane and his son Randy purchased the Schaefer half of the business in 1983. They kept the name, as well as the dedication to progressive thinking and customer satisfaction that Barney had when he sold that very first car more than 100 years ago.
Today, six generations later, Randy and his sons Kyle and Craig continue to provide superior customer service to customers in and around Frankenmuth, Michigan.